Charles Lyell was a Scottish lawyer who wrote a book in the 1830’s called the Principles of Geology. On page 302 he says “Men of superior talent (perhaps like himself), who thought for themselves, and were not blinded by authority (perhaps like the Bible)…” He continually mocked the scriptures. In fact, Lyell said that one of his goals was to “Free the science from Moses”. (Life Letters and Journals, published by John Murray 1881). Lyell was primarily responsible for giving the world the concept of the “geologic column”, where each rock layer was given a name (like Jurassic), an age and an index fossil long before dating techniques. The Geologic Column, accepted purely by faith, is the Bible for the Evolutionist. It doesn’t exist anywhere in the world, which we will touch on later. Lyell took away peoples belief that there was a biblical flood.
Scientists theorize that sediments were deposited on the earth over millions and billions of years. As animals died, their fossil remains were encased in this column at different levels, and as a result, they believe that the different “ages” can be determined by which fossil remains they find. Each age is defined by a specific fossil know as an “index fossil”.
There are many problems with this theory, some of which are described here:
1. “If there were a column of sediments deposited continuously since the formation of the earth, the entire history of the planet could be reconstructed. Unfortunately no such column exists. Where sediments are missing, a break in the sedimentary record occurs. Breaks result in gaps in the record the may range from a few years to hundreds of millions of years. Breaks in the sedimentary record are called unconformities.” (HBJ Earth Science, 1989, p. 326).
2. There are no signs of erosion between the layers of rock. If it were deposited slowly over millions of years, we would have expected to see some. Layers without erosion are more likely to have been deposited quickly probably by the action of water.
3. “If the geologic column existed in one location it could be 100 miles thick.” (Biology p. 385, A Beka Books).
4. The geologic column, as it exists in the textbooks, is not found in nature. Most of the earth’s layers vary and do not match the classical descriptions depicted in science books.
5. Circular Reasoning: A fossil cannot be dated by itself; it can only be dated by knowing where, in the geologic column, it was found. A layer of rock cannot be dated without knowing what fossils are found in it. This is why we cannot accurately date anything using the geologic column. “The rocks do date the fossils, but the fossils date the rocks more accurately. Stratigraphy cannot avoid this kind of reasoning if it insists on using only temporal concepts, because circularity is inherent in the derivation of time scales.” (J.E. O’Rourke, “Pragmatism versus Materialism in Stratigraphy”, American Journal of Science, Vol. 276, January 1976, p. 53).
6. “The layers of rock can be dated by which fossils are found in them (page 306).” “Scientists have determined the relative timing of appearance and disappearance of many kinds of organisms from the location of their fossils in sedimentary rock layers (page 307).” (Glenco Biology 1994, p. 306-307).
7. “Apart from very ‘modern’ examples, which are really archaeology, I can think of no cases of radioactive decay being used to date fossils.” (Derek V. Ager, “Fossil Frustrations”, New Scientist, Vol. 100, November, 10, 1983, p. 425).
8. Radiometric dating would not have been feasible if the geologic column had not been erected first.” (J.E. O’Rourke, “Pragmatism versus Materialism in Stratigraphy”, American Journal of Science, Vol. 276, January 1976, p. 54).
9. “How do you tell the difference between 100 million year old Jurassic limestone and 600 million year old Cambrian limestone? (Foresman Scott, Earth Science 1990, p. 138). The answer is by the index fossils.
10. “Trilobite fossils make good index fossils. If a trilobite is found in a rock layer, the rock layer was probably formed 500 to 600 million years ago.” (Holt Modern Earth Science 1989, p. 290). Yet they have found things like a human shoe print with a trilobite inside that was squished. (Found by William Meister of Kearns, Utah June 1, 1968. Dr. H.H.Doelling of Utah’s Geological Survey verified it was not a fake). This creates such a problem for evolutionists that they have gone to the extent to explain it as saying that the shoe print was actually made by another trilobite that evolved into the shape of a shoe and squished the smaller trilobite.
11. Graptolites are the index fossils for 410 million year old rocks. (Earth Magazine September 1993). The problem with this is that Graptolites were found alive in the South Pacific in 1993. So they can’t be index fossils for anything.
12. The Lobe-finned fish are the index fossils for 325-410 million year old rocks. The Coelacanth, which is found in the Indian Ocean, is a lobe-finned fish, and is alive today. There are no index fossils.
C. Vertical trees are found in Coal Measures sandstone, St. Etienne, France.
D. Some polystrate trees are upside down extending through many layers including layers of coal.Some of the petrified trees that have grown through millions of years of the geologic column are found upside down. There are very few reasons to explain this:
- The trees stood upright for millions of years while the sediment layers formed around them (not possible since the tree would have died, and the part above the ground would have rotted).
- The trees grew through hundreds of feet of solid sedimentary rock looking for sunlight (even more preposterous).
- The third possibility, that evolutionists would not suggest, is that a great flood buried the trees suddenly and they petrified. The layers of rock that are thought of as the geologic column actually settled on the bottom as the waters receded.
Scientists estimate that there are 20,000 trees at the bottom of Spirit Lake. They were blown there by the eruption of Mount St. Helens. Many of the trees are buried upright and some are already 15 feet deep in sediments. They seem to settle out by species giving the appearance of a complete forest. These trees are beginning to petrify standing up, so we have an excellent idea of how it may have happened during the flood.
There’s only one place on earth where the Geologic Column can be found.
In the textbook.
“Evolution is a fairy tale for grown-ups. This theory has helped nothing in the progress of science. It is useless.” (Dr Louise Bounoure, Director of Research at the French National Centre for Scientific Research, Director of the Zoological Museum and former president of the Biological Society of Strasbourg)